I WILL NOT PLAY FOR TOGO IN THE AFRICA CUP OF NATIONS.

Monday 24 December 20120 comments

                    Adebayor vows boycott over safety fears


totenham forward Emmanuel Adebayor says he will not play for Togo in the Africa Cup of Nations unless his safety is assured.

The national side suffered a horrific attack at the competition in Angola in 2010 which left three people travelling on the team bus dead.

While some people have accused Adebayor of refusing to play due to unpaid bonuses, the Spurs star revealed he spends his own money to make sure other members of the national squad can travel to and from games.

“I am hearing people saying I do not want to go to the African Nations Cup because of unpaid bonuses,” he told The Sun.

“I do not need a bonus from Togo – it is 1,000 pounds per game. I would not refuse to play for my country over money.

“Sometimes I have to take responsibility and I have even helped pay bonuses.

“It is all about the organisation – or lack of it. There is only a five per cent chance I could go – I am not putting my life at risk.”

Memories of the 2010 attack are still painful for Adebayor, and he does not feel the Togolese Football Association have done enough to avoid similar events from unfolding at the 2013 showpiece in South Africa.
Share this article :

Post a Comment

Important - Let the world know that you are here--Comment to this Article using the comment box-- Ask your Questions, Suggestions or just mail me!!.For non blogger use Name/URL for comment Just type your name and comment!

 
Copyright © 2012. Royal Shekinah Suite News - All Rights Reserved
Twin To Kingston Hotel
Blogger Wordpress Tips